Follow along with me on my journey across the United States this summer. Postings will be updated regularly to allow everyone to share my experiences through pictures and comments.

Big Ride Route

Big Ride Route
Click on map to view cities being visited

Thursday, July 3, 2008

Thursday, July 3, 2008 – Day 11

Start: Avon, Montana
End: Townsend, Montana
Miles: 66.08 Total Miles: 798.93
Time: 5 hours 1 minute (avg 13.1 MPH)

When we woke up this morning, the temperature was in the 40s. That was a change since we were starting to get use to the warmer temperatures. We knew it would be even colder at the top of the McDonald Pass, so we had to dress appropriately. It was a good thing that many did not send home their cold weather gear as planned in Missoula.

As we left the campground, I saw a cow with her baby calf along the side of the road that was real cute. It is funny how all the cows along the way stop what they are doing as I ride by and stare at me. It is as if they are wondering why I am riding a bicycle for so long and so far. I guess they are smarter than I am because I am thinking the same thing, but they are smart enough to continue eating, hanging out and being content where they are.



The incline up to the Pass began immediately after we left the camp. It was gradual to begin with, but our queue sheets let us know that the climb would get much steeper. The incline changed dramatically and we had 4 miles to go to the top. It was very steep, but the payoff at the top of the pass was worth it.



At the top, I had to take my picture with the sign showing the altitude. This pass doesn’t have a sign showing the Continental Divide, but it was the highest point that we will ride over along the entire ride.





We also went the extra mile to go up an access road to get a better view. From this area, we had
an unobstructed 360 degree view of all the area around us. It was fantastic. I took a video that I will post at the next stop that has faster Internet access. Here are some pictures of me and my
bike at the top. Boy do I need to shave!


Also at the top of this access road, was a transmission tower of some sort. While I was up there, some of the more daring riders decided to climb the tower. Oh my! That was really high.

After our fun at the top of the pass, it was time for the real excitement. The 6 mile downhill. There were warnings for trucks to go 25 MPH because of the twists and turns as well as the very steep grade. It was fast and thrilling to top out at close to 40 MPH on my way down. I probably could have gone faster, but there was a slight headwind and I had on my jacket that was flapping in the wind slowing me down.


After the Rockies were in my rear view mirror, there was still
about 40 miles to go for the day’s ride. It was pretty uneventful especially after that downhill. But I did see a deer and its baby playing in the field on the side of the road.




Finally, I wanted to let everyone know that we were and will continue riding along the Lewis and Clark Trail. It is interesting to think back to when they traveled this route without all the amenities that we have today. We think it is tough riding our bikes all this way, but they did it on foot with all their animals and gear in tow. I took a picture of the sign that designates the trail and then thought this one was better. It shows how times have changed since Lewis and Clark made their journey.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

cccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwsssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

MOO
MOO
MMMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Anonymous said...

Stories are wonderful! Pictures are wonderful! You doing this and why is wonderful! Keep it up!
Have a great July 4th. I wonder what ‘holiday’ stuff you will see.
Gigi

Mom de Plume said...

Hi Brendon - We wanted to let you know we are thinking about you on your ride - how exciting and what an endeavor you have undertaken! We spoke with your wife and kids at neighborhood fireworks last night for the 4th of July and heard about your progress. Just wanted to send you a note to say Good Luck! God be with you - Best wishes, the Phelans (Jeff, Jacqueline & Cannon)