Follow along with me on my journey across the United States this summer. Postings will be updated regularly to allow everyone to share my experiences through pictures and comments.

Big Ride Route

Big Ride Route
Click on map to view cities being visited

Friday, July 25, 2008

Friday, July 25, 2008 – Day 33

Start: Belvidere, Illinois
End: Coal City, Illinois
Miles: 102.92 Total Miles: 2,527.20 BRAA Total Miles: 2,388.90
Time: 6 hours 35 minutes (avg 15.6 MPH)
Flat tire count today: 0 Total flat tires for the ride: 9

I really only have one word for the entire ride today…CORN! There was corn on both sides of the road just about the whole way. It was very tall as well, which limited what could be seen around the surrounding areas. I guess the only thing around the surrounding areas was corn because when we did get a peek here and there over the corn, there was more corn. It was everywhere for miles and miles. Have I made my point yet? Here is a picture to show just how tall the corn was. It was close to nine feet tall.


I seemed to have a problem today – or at least my bike did – trying to figure out whether we were coming or going.



Actually, we were just playing in the corn at a water stop. When you ride 316 miles in three days, you get a little tired and need to goof off a little bit to keep things interesting. Also, when all that is around you is corn, you have to be creative when goofing off.

Well, today was our third 100+ mile day in a row (3 centuries). That is quite an accomplishment. We now have less than 1,000 miles to go before completion of the ride. Closer every day.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Coal City campground had drunks so loud that I called the local police at midnight. They came and calmed things down, but apparently there were some under-age drinkers who came running through our tent area and ran into one of our tents. 2006 blogs also had reports of the noise.

Kathy - Crew from 2007