Follow along with me on my journey across the United States this summer. Postings will be updated regularly to allow everyone to share my experiences through pictures and comments.

Big Ride Route

Big Ride Route
Click on map to view cities being visited

Monday, July 28, 2008

Monday, July 28, 2008 – Day 36

Start: Valparaiso, Indiana
End: Kendallville, Indiana
Miles: 111.17 Total Miles: 2,738.77 BRAA Total Miles: 2,582.20
Time: 6 hours 38 minutes (avg 16.7 MPH)
Flat tire count today: 1 Total flat tires for the ride: 10

We got a late start this morning after breakfast. Several of the riders were a little later than others getting to the truck to pack and turn in their keys to the dorm rooms. We were not allowed to get our queue sheets until all the keys were turned in. At this point, it really is no big deal. We knew it would be a long day of riding combined with losing an hour due to the time zone change, so we just accepted it.

We had another “episode of where is the street?” We were following our directions and then we ran into some construction that was being done on the street we were supposed to be on. We couldn’t ride on the street though since it was not there. It was completely torn up. So, we had to find our way around the construction. It was rather comical. There was about ten of us trying to find the next road on the queue sheet. We were riding around in small groups and we kept looking down the streets and seeing each other going in different directions. The funniest thing was that we all came back together at pretty much the same time and at the same location, which was back on route.

Not too long after the construction zone, I got my tenth flat tire. I am not too upset, since I am used to fixing them now. I figure at this rate, I will get two to three more before the trip is completed.

There was a lot of corn once again. The corn is so high on both sides of the road, you can’t see anything else.



I also saw more cows today. This was the first time in a couple of days that I can remember seeing cows. It was nice to see something other than corn for a change.



We also came across a sunflower field. There were hundreds of sunflowers. It was so cool to see them one after another.



Toward the end of the ride today, we came across these guys. They looked like giant poodles since they were apparently just shaved. They were either llamas or alpacas – not sure if these are the same thing. The group I was riding with called to them and they came running over. I think they were looking for food. They were right up in our faces. A little too close for my comfort level.



Tomorrow is a short day. Only about 70 miles into Ohio – our tenth state.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brendon - I finally took a moment to check out your blog. It was great to read your comments and see the pictures. What an amazing and challenging journey you are on and not just that of biking across the US... My thoughts and prayers are with you. We will see you soon for a grand homecoming!

Cheers, The Harvey's

Anonymous said...

Brendon, I am so amazed at how much you are doing on this trip. I rode my bike for maybe 3 miles over the weekend and I almost died!! I can't imagine all the miles you have gone. Can't wait to see you when you get back. We've been praying for a safe ride, so hopefully its helping. ( =

Laura (back home at the IC)