Follow along with me on my journey across the United States this summer. Postings will be updated regularly to allow everyone to share my experiences through pictures and comments.

Big Ride Route

Big Ride Route
Click on map to view cities being visited

Saturday, July 5, 2008

Friday, July 4, 2008 – Day 12

Start: Townsend, Montana
End: Harlowton, Montana
Miles: 108.66 Total Miles: 907.59
Time: 8 hours 36 minute (avg 12.6 MPH)

Today was a really long day. First of all it was long due to the fact that I did not get much sleep from the night before. Just as I was nodding off, we were told to evacuate the camping area and go inside the school building that we were staying. There were two storm cells that were converging right over us. The sky was lighting up and the rain was just starting. So, we all went inside and watched the storm. It was a big storm and the worst part was several tents were flooded and a few were even broken from the winds. After the storm passed, I attempted to go back to sleep since my tent was as dry as could be. It was tough to sleep because the storms continued with a lot of rain, lightning and wind, just not as powerful as the first one. So, needless to say, I was not very well rested for the 100+ mile day ahead.

The ride started immediately with a long climb. For the day, we climbed just over 4,000 feet. That averages about 40 feet for every mile that we rode. Once we finished the big climb out of Townsend, I looked back to say my final goodbye to the Rocky Mountains. That was quite an accomplishment to make it over those even though we went over the smaller part of the range.

I saw a bunch of antelope along the way. They were hanging out in the field just off the side of the road grazing. I took this picture just prior to them seeing I was there and taking off.






Not too far down the road, I saw what reminded me of Day 3 leaving Vantage, Washington. I am sure something like this inspired the Wild Horses Monument. These were real horses. I am not sure if they were wild or not, but they were walking around on the top of the hills.




My day became a little troubling during the second half of the ride. I rode ahead of the support vehicles and therefore was unsupported from mile 40 to the end of the ride. That was 60+ miles without a vehicle providing water. In the heat and with the long ride, this was not a good thing. About mile 70 I realized I needed to find some water since I was getting low. I ended up going to three houses along the route to knock on doors to ask to use their hoses. No one was home. Maybe they were gone due to it being the 4th of July. There were five ATVs that came riding down the road at about mile 75. I stopped them and asked them where I could find some water. They offered me a small water bottle that would tide me over until I could find more. What a blessing. I kept riding looking for some houses that looked occupied and finally came to a town called TwoDot. It was actually off the route but I needed to get some water and the town had a bar so I figured I could pick up some water there. Success! I was able to get enough water to get me to the end of the ride.

Once everyone arrived at camp, some of the riders participated in a hot dog eating contest. It was pretty disgusting. I took this picture prior to the really gross part of the contest. There were hot dogs and the associated mess everywhere. The winner was the first to finish six hot dogs.






The night ended with a firework show like no other I have seen. Everyone here in Montana is able to purchase fireworks like those that you would only see at a professional firework show. The campground we were staying at was the place many of them came to set them off. There were personal shows all around. They went on until about 11PM. I then went to sleep. At least until the storms blew in once again. The wind was the noisy part of the storm, but it didn’t keep me up too long. So, another night with little sleep. I am looking forward to getting to Billings tomorrow and a rest day.

One last photo. This is one of me in my camper hat.

1 comment:

pezzulo said...

why didn't you enter the hot dog eating contest, isn't that just what anybody would want after 108 miles in the heat???!!! I'm lovin the hat! Once again Brendon....GREAT JOB!!!