Follow along with me on my journey across the United States this summer. Postings will be updated regularly to allow everyone to share my experiences through pictures and comments.

Big Ride Route

Big Ride Route
Click on map to view cities being visited

Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Tuesday, August 5, 2008 – Day 44

Start: Confluence, Pennsylvania
End: Bedford, Pennsylvania
Miles: 80.02 Total Miles: 3,299.21 BRAA Total Miles: 3,119.40
Time: 5 hours 37 minutes (avg 14.2 MPH)
Flat tire count today: 0 Total flat tires for the ride: 10

Wake up time was strange this morning. It was foggy and warm. It had to be because we were in an area surrounded by hills and the weather was kind of trapped in with us. We headed out on the trail that we rode in on yesterday. We were on the trail for another 31 miles. The only difference today was the weather. It was drizzling early on. About half way through the trail, the rain became much harder. It only rained about fifteen minutes, but the bad part was the trail got messy when the rain was added to the crushed limestone. It almost became like cement and it got all over me and my bike. No big deal though, it washed off nicely when we arrived in camp.

There was a bridge along the trail that was very long. When I got on the bridge, I said to myself, “Whoa, Lisa wouldn’t be able to get across this one!” Lisa is my wife and she really dislikes bridges. It was long and it was high up. Good thing there wasn’t any wind or it would have been a little dangerous.



I was riding down the road getting close to our destination for the night and I came up behind a guy in a tractor pulling something. As I got closer, I was even more confused when I saw that it was some sort of building that he was dragging behind the tractor. Dragging…no wheels under the building. He signaled me to pass, but I just had to stop and take a picture. This was a pretty heavily traveled road and this guy was dragging a building.



I know that I have seen a lot of cows along the ride. Today, I saw this guy as I was waiting for others to arrive in camp. He was standing next to where I parked my bike. He was actually a part of the miniature golf course, but I had to take a picture.



Tonight, we will need to get some good rest because tomorrow is what is being called “the final exam” of the total ride. It is scheduled for 100 miles and it will include a lot of climbing. We have to go over the Appalachian Mountains on our way to Gettysburg. It should be fun.

2 comments:

potsy said...

Hello

Anonymous said...

BooHoo! 4 days left! I will miss all the pictures of your friends(real and even fake ones).