Follow along with me on my journey across the United States this summer. Postings will be updated regularly to allow everyone to share my experiences through pictures and comments.

Big Ride Route

Big Ride Route
Click on map to view cities being visited

Friday, August 1, 2008

Friday, August 1, 2008 – Day 40

Rest Day: Burton, Ohio
Miles: 2.80 Total Miles: 3,002.08 BRAA Total Miles: 2,832.40
Flat tire count today: 0 Total flat tires for the ride: 10

Today was our second to last rest day. We spent it in Burton, Ohio. It is a small town of about 500 people. It reminded me a lot of the town that I lived in – Sagamore Hills – when I lived in Ohio.

Yesterday, I went out to mark the route to the fairgrounds where we were camping on the street with chalk for the remaining riders. As I was chalking the street right in town, a city official stopped me and asked me what I was doing. I explained about the bike ride and where we were staying and he told me that next year we need to let him know so he can put out signs directing everyone to the fairgrounds. He was very polite, but he didn’t want me writing on the town streets. He said that in a small town, they don’t take kindly to that kind of thing. Even if it is chalk that will wash away in the next rain.

I also had the opportunity to spend some time with a friend. I was picked up and whisked away to his home for dinner and a wonderful bed for the night. What a treat to have a home cooked meal, a bed and sharing with friends. Thank you Rudolph family. I look forward to seeing you all again soon.

We have seven riding and one rest day remaining until we reach Washington, DC. The only real obstacles in our way are the hills/mountains in Pennsylvania. Hopefully, they will not be too tough. Regardless, we are continuing forward.

No comments: