Follow along with me on my journey across the United States this summer. Postings will be updated regularly to allow everyone to share my experiences through pictures and comments.

Big Ride Route

Big Ride Route
Click on map to view cities being visited

Friday, August 1, 2008

Thursday, July 31, 2008 – Day 39

Start: Sandusky, Ohio
End: Burton, Ohio
Miles: 100.04 Total Miles: 2,999.28 BRAA Total Miles: 2,832.40
Time: 6 hours 53 minutes (avg 14.5 MPH)
Flat tire count today: 0 Total flat tires for the ride: 10


This morning’s portion of the ride was spent mostly along the coastline of Lake Erie. There were several parks along the way where we could stop and appreciate the size and beauty of the lake. It is definitely one of the Great Lakes. In addition to the lake, I was amazed at some of the homes that were recently built or in the process of being built along the coast. There were so many and they were fabulous.



Just across the street from the lake about fifteen miles or so into the ride, I saw this strange looking structure and stopped to take a picture. The sign said Atomic Blast Shelter. I was curious if this was still in working condition and if the people who live next to it are preparing for a blast anytime soon? It did look like it was well kept and ready for use.

After a detour that was due to a draw bridge being out of order (I think), we made it to downtown Cleveland. I have driven through the city on many occasions, but it is very different on a bike. I arrived right at lunch hour, so the streets were quite crowded with cars and people walking to lunch from all the offices.








Just down the street from downtown Cleveland was the famous Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. It is located right on the lake. What a perfect location. Also off to the left is the Cleveland Browns football stadium. There is definitely a lot going on in Cleveland.


Continuing on down the road, our route was directed onto the Cleveland Lakefront Bikeway. It took us along the side of the lake by the airport and marina. What a beautiful ride and once again the weather was just right. There appeared to be a thunderstorm brewing to the south of the route, but it didn’t affect any part of our ride.



I thought this was funny…it seems like the group of riders stops at almost every Dairy Queen along the route. Today, I saw a Dairy King. I am not sure if anyone stopped there or if it compares to Dairy Queen, but I guess the owners thought the King should get equal time.



We went through an area in Cleveland called Little Italy. As you leave Little Italy, you have to go up a very steep hill. I was stopped at a light waiting to climb the hill and a guy in a car next to me said, "Are you going to ride up that hill?" I told him yes and he asked if I had done it before. I told him this was my first time, but it was just the next hill in a series of hills since Seattle, Washington. It took him a second to realize what I said and then looked at me like I was crazy and said good luck before driving away. It is funny to see the disbelief at times when telling people what we are doing.

The last 20-30 miles of the ride brought us back into rolling hills. It was tough since we have been riding on flat ground for so many days. It was good though since we have more rolling hills ahead of us in Pennsylvania. We needed to feel the burn once again to prepare us. The day's ride ended up being 100 miles due to two detours we had to take. So, add another century to the log.

Looking back on today’s ride was interesting. I used to live just south of Cleveland and we have driven to Cedar Point in Sandusky several times. We used to think that was a really long drive and after a long day at the park, we would say what a drag it was to have to drive all the way home. Well, now that I have ridden my bike that far and a little further, I have a different perspective. Those long rides in the car will take on a different meaning from now on.

No comments: