Follow along with me on my journey across the United States this summer. Postings will be updated regularly to allow everyone to share my experiences through pictures and comments.

Big Ride Route

Big Ride Route
Click on map to view cities being visited

Sunday, August 10, 2008

Saturday, August 9, 2008 – Day 48

Start: Clarksburg, Maryland
End: Washington, DC
Miles: 55.43 Total Miles: 3,508.76 BRAA Total Miles: 3,323.80
Time: 3 hours 49 minutes (avg 14.5 MPH)
Flat tire count today: 0 Total flat tires for the ride: 11

The last day. This morning we had to get up early even though it was a short ride into Washington, DC. The reason was we had to be at the check point by a certain time and then we all had to gather at the lunch stop at around the same time. This would allow us to all ride to the finish line in succession.

As I got closer to DC, the traffic became much heavier and much more aggressive. I knew I was back in the Washington metro area when I got inside the Capital Beltway and the cars stated honking and being very unfriendly to bike riders.

Once we left the street and got on the trail, things got even busier. It was Saturday and the trail was loaded with weekenders. We had to navigate through a lot of walkers, runners and bikers. Really, we had to slow down and realize that we were in the big city and no longer in Montana.

We all met for lunch at the old post office building in DC. A Big Ride alumni from several years back owns a Greek restaurant and provides lunch for the riders each year. Once we were done, we headed to the finish line near the Lincoln Memorial.

My family and a couple of friends were their meet me and welcome me home. It was pretty exciting to see everyone there and to finally be done.

What an experience. One that I am very excited that I took on and completed. Thank you to everyone who has supported me and followed me across the United States. Without you all, the ride would have been even tougher.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Its been fun following you on this journey, thanks for keeping such a great blog. I feel like I know you ...... Congratulations.