Follow along with me on my journey across the United States this summer. Postings will be updated regularly to allow everyone to share my experiences through pictures and comments.

Big Ride Route

Big Ride Route
Click on map to view cities being visited

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - Day 2

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 – Day 2
Start: Easton, Washington
End: Vantage, Washington
Miles: 77.35 Total Miles: 173.04
Time: 4 hours 51 minutes (avg 15.9 MPH)

Last night was a cold one in the tent. I did not bring a sleeping bag since I didn’t think I would use it much after the first couple of days. It wasn’t too bad because I did bring several blankets to keep warm. The morning began at 5am with the zipper alarms (people unzipping their tent doorways). It actually started with someone making a rooster call.

We packed up our tents and gear and had a brief breakfast. Then we were off. It was a brisk ride for the first 50 miles or so while we were leaving the Cascade Mountains. Once we were out, the weather instantly changed. In the grasslands, it was a lot dryer and by the time we made it to the long climb, the temperature really went up.

The long climb was truly long. 15 miles to be exact. Every corner that we turned was another hill. We were promised that at the top of the hill we would receive a reward. We did! It was the biggest downhill I have ever experienced. Just over 11 miles right to our campground. For most of the 11 miles, I was going over 40 miles per hour. That made the hill worth climbing.

Every so many miles, I stopped to look back and take a picture of the Cascades as we left them. What a sight to see.

The main towns/cities we went through were Cle Elum and Ellensburg and then ended in Vantage. One of the riders also had a minor accident. I did not see what happened, but heard that they braked a little too hard on a fast downhill and ended up going over the handlebars. Everything is ok. A little sore, but only scrapes and bruises.

We arrived early at camp in Vantage right next to the Columbia River. It will be a peaceful night’s sleep. That is good since, as I am typing this, I am looking across the river at the hill we have to climb to get the day started tomorrow.

Finally, thanks to Jim for riding with me today. He kept me going up that long hill.

This is what it looks like when the truck carring our gear is unloaded prior to everyone arriving.

1 comment:

Bob Williams said...

Brandon,
I am enjoying your blog as you ride across the country. In this entry you mentioned riding with Jim. Was that Jim Andresen? I am also following Jim, all thought he isn't keeping up with you in the blog area. If you see Jim telling Bob Williams from the Arlington Trotters and his old bike shop says hi and good luck. I completed my ride across the country in 2001. It will take you guys 48 days, I did in 6 years. But that is a story for another time. Good luck, enjoy each day and stop to have a piece of pie each morning. You can't beat the experience.
Bob