Follow along with me on my journey across the United States this summer. Postings will be updated regularly to allow everyone to share my experiences through pictures and comments.

Big Ride Route

Big Ride Route
Click on map to view cities being visited

Saturday, June 28, 2008

Saturday, June 28, 2008 – Day 6

Start: Spokane, Washington
End: Sandpoint, Idaho
Miles: 80.25 Total Miles: 422.75
Time: 5 hours 55 minutes (avg 13.5 MPH)

We left our comfortable resting day spot of Spokane right after breakfast this morning. We started out on the Centennial Trail.

Oh where, oh where is Market Street?

After we left the trail, we went through an industrial area. We came to a detour that our directions did account for. The only problem was the streets were not marked with street signs. We were supposed to make a right turn on Market Street but there was no sign. So, most of the group kept going straight. They accumulated what is known as “bonus miles” – extra miles due to getting lost. I broke the stereotype for males when I didn’t want to get lost. I stopped and asked what the name of the street was. Sure enough, it was Market. By that time, the others were out of sight down the wrong road. They figured it out and were quickly back on track.

One of the previous riders was telling a story before the ride began several months ago about making sure we enjoy the ride. He made sure we understood that it is not a race and we need to slow down and see the scenery. The story mentioned one rider who was always real fast and was the first to arrive at camp each day. One day when he was bragging about how quick he arrived, someone asked him if he saw the giraffe along the side of the road. I thought this was just a way of letting us know to slow down until I saw the giraffe myself.


I wanted everyone out there to also see some of these crazy roads that we have to ride. When I see these, I have to just take them nice and easy or else I will get discouraged.




We had the privilege of seeing a parade this afternoon in Newport, Washington. It was quite a show and I think the entire town was out watching. It was called the rodeo parade. They had all kinds of vehicles driving down the road.

Right before entering Newport, I came across this sign on the side of the road. It is for any of you Big Riders who need a little relaxation. Given the fact that we will be gone the next day, I don’t think it will be of any use.




The best news of the day was that we made it to our second state. We are now in Idaho.






The coolest thing about Idaho so far is they have special poles set up for Bald Eagles to nest in. I will post pictures of the pole and an up close picture of an eagle in the nest tomorrow.








Tomorrow we head to our third state – Montana and the Mountain Time Zone.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey! What's with all the animals, man. What are you glucose bro.