Follow along with me on my journey across the United States this summer. Postings will be updated regularly to allow everyone to share my experiences through pictures and comments.

Big Ride Route

Big Ride Route
Click on map to view cities being visited

Friday, June 27, 2008

Friday, June 27, 2008 – Day 5

Rest Day: Spokane, Washington
Miles: 5.52 Total Miles: 348.02

Our first rest day was our firs rest day and we spent it in Spokane. We spent the day in a dorm at Gonzaga University. I spent the day bike cleaning, doing laundry and walking and bike riding around downtown Spokane.

We were here at the same time as the Spokane Hoopfest. From what I understand, Hoopfest is a basketball tournament consisting of a series of three on three matches. It is huge here. All the businesses participate and have Hoopfest themes going on.

Spokane was the home of the 1974 World’s Fair. The downtown area has a park that was developed for the fair and still attracts people today. It is where the majority of the Hoopfest activities are centered. As I walked around the area, I was noticing that the streets were being prepared for the activities tomorrow (Saturday). All the parking along the sides of the streets was being marked as no parking so that they can set up all the temporary basketball hoops.



There were hundreds of these basketball hoops all over the place ready to be set up and used. I bet this place will be jumping tomorrow – literally.




For those of you who know my wife Lisa, know that she loves walking and pulling her wagon, usually with our daughter Rachel in it. Well, since Rachel is growing and once I am done with this ride, I think Lisa will need a new wagon to pull us both around in. I found it here. Take a close look at the people next to the rear wheel to get a feel for the size of this wagon.



I also wanted to show a picture of the Spokane River which runs right through downtown and by the park net to a really nice bike trail. This is Spokane Falls.


Another friend report. When I was looking at the river, a little guy came right up to me looking for food. He actually stood up and posed for me.

Tomorrow morning we pack up and head out to Sandpoint, Idaho, the second state of the many we will visit. How exciting to finally make it to the next state. Weather report says it is going to get gradually hotter. Oh boy…be prepared to stay hydrated.

6 comments:

Bob Williams said...

Brendon,

You are doing a great job on your blog. I enjoy keeping track of the ride through you daily updates. Much betting then most. Some have not made an entry since the first day. Keep up the good work and enjoy the ride. You have the right attitude. Stop and smell ____ (you fill in the blank).

Bob Williams

Anonymous said...

I enjoy reading your blog every day. I really think you are craaaaaaaaaaazy to do this. Have a great time in wherever you are, but do not have to much fun without me! Meet many new friends (and animals). Love you!

Anonymous

Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm Rachel's friend Hanna you crazy. Bye bye

Anonymous said...

Hi:
I liked seeing you as you rode past the other day. Before that, I was pretty bored, just eating grass. Thanks for waving to me!

Mooey

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a wagon. Talk about the bigger better deal. Upgrade time. Just think, I could pull the whole gang around.

Lisa

Anonymous said...

Brendon,

Man, you are curzing, 9 miles up hill at 17 to 20 mph!

Keep living the dream. And keep the pics coming.

Great job on the blog.

Tim L.