Follow along with me on my journey across the United States this summer. Postings will be updated regularly to allow everyone to share my experiences through pictures and comments.

Big Ride Route

Big Ride Route
Click on map to view cities being visited

Monday, June 23, 2008

Monday, June 23, 2008 - Day 1

Start: University of Washington
End: Easton, Washington
Daily Miles: 95.69 - Total Miles 95.69
Time: 7 hours 1 minute (avg. 13.6 MPH)

Woke up real early this morning at about 4am. Hard to sleep thinking about the day ahead. Excitement, but apprehension. It is going to be great

.
Well, that was my thought prior to going over Snoqualmie Pass. OH MY!
We had a 23 mile ride on a flat commuter path. I think that was to fool us into thinking this was going to be easy. It worked. We had a water and snack stop at mile 23. Then the "fun" began. We had a climb that stretched 52 miles! The climb stopped at Snoqualmie Pass in the Cascade Mountains. Then we had a fairly flat 20 mile ride to Easton, Washington where our camp is located.
All in all, it was a great first day. When I was a kid and my mother told me to go play on the freeway, I bet she never imagined I would actually do it. We rode a number of miles on Interstate 90 and it was loud and busy, but we survived.
I was going to try to ride in a velodrome that was along the way, but I watched one of the riders give it a try and almost fell when the steep turn came. I didn't want to chance it, so we continued on.
The highlight of the day was the Cascade Mountains. They were so beautiful. I almost forgot that I had to ride through them. We came to a location called Snoqualmie Falls.
It was a spectacular waterfall. Very cool to see. After that it was more climbing.

I am glad Day 1 is over.

1 comment:

pezzulo said...

NICE JOB BRENDON!!!! I WILL BE FOLLOWING YOU ON YOUR JOURNEY, SO KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK! CAN'T WAIT TO SEE PICS! CHRIS :)